Thirty-Third District PTA’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee (DEI) aims to recruit and train people from diverse backgrounds and underrepresented councils to serve in district-level leadership positions. The DEI Committee’s Shadowing Program seeks to achieve this goal by establishing a mentorship-style experience where potential leaders can shadow current district chairs and board members.
The Shadowing Program provides mentee participants with the opportunity to observe and learn from currently seated district officers and committee chairs as they perform the routine duties of their positions. Additionally, the program allows mentee participants to explore specific expectations, responsibilities, and possibilities of eligible district positions in order to create a realistic picture of the tasks performed and how the organization functions best.
The Shadowing Program allows mentor participants to share their experiences and identify a potential pool of candidates for future elected and appointed positions. Furthermore, the program allows mentor participants to showcase how they have customized their role in an effort to streamline tasks, focus on new areas of concern, and/or create new programs, services, training opportunities, etc.
- To recruit and train PTA members from diverse backgrounds and underrepresented councils to serve in district-level leadership positions
- To cultivate a safe, supportive environment within which current district leadership share experiences, ideas, and best practices with interested potential leaders
- To spark the interest of PTA members in district-level leadership roles
- To create a pool of potential candidates for the Nominating Committee to consider
- To provide opportunities for real-time, on-the-job training for PTA members interested in district-level leadership positions
- Allows officers and committee chairs to share knowledge, ideas, and best practices.
- Allows officers and committee chairs to reflect on their work practices and possibly highlight areas for change.
- Creates a clear pathway for interested PTA members to advance to district-level leadership roles.
- Provides interested PTA members with a safe, supportive environment for mentorship, training, and knowledge sharing.
- Ensures potential leaders enter their new district-level leadership roles with the knowledge and support they need to succeed.
Everyone is welcome to participate in the Shadowing Program. There are no specific requirements for the appointment of committee chairs. However, to be considered as a candidate for officer positions, participants must meet the following requirements (from page 5a, Article VII, section 6d of the district bylaws):
- Must be currently serving or have previously served on a council or district executive board for a minimum of two years.
- Be a PTA member of an association in good standing at least 30 days prior to the election.
- Must be a resident in the district territory, or be a parent or grandparent or guardian of children attending schools in district territory, or personnel of schools in the district territory.
NOTE: Participation in this program does not guarantee nomination, election, or appointment to a district role.
Officer Positions to Shadow:
- Director of Leadership Services
- Director of Membership
- Director of Communications
- Director of Education
- Director of Program Services
- Director of Health Services
- Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Director of Community Concerns
- Director of Support Services
- Director of Budget and Finance
- Director of Legislation
- Recording Secretary
- Financial Secretary
- Corresponding Secretary
Committee Chair Positions to Shadow:
- Annual Meeting
- Bilingual Outreach/Translation
- Children with Special Needs
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Fall Association Meeting and Officers Training
- Family Engagement Committee
- Family Health
- Publications Review
- Sacramento Safari
- Spring Awards & Association Meeting
- Spring Officers Training
- Youth Camps
Questions or comments? Email the committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow us on Facebook.